Curiosity Draws Mountaineer, Music-Lover to Library
- During his career as a sponsored professional athlete and snowboard mountaineer for The North Face, John Griber made frequent expeditions to the Teton County Library. Surveying the library’s collection of alpine journals and other mountaineering materials helped inspire his impressive resume of alpine expeditions, including making turns on his snowboard from the “death zone” at 8,000 meters on Cho Oyu, the world’s sixth tallest peak.
- “Looking at peaks, there’s nothing like looking at a book to get a true picture,” says Griber, who has since transitioned from athlete to cameraman. In 2013, he worked on film projects from the “Life Below Zero” television series for National Geographic and BBC to a documentary film about Apa Sherpa, a Nepalese Sherpa mountaineer who has reached the summit of Mount Everest 21 times, a world record that he shares with one other Sherpa.
- Read More >> | Submit Your Story >>
Digital magazines at your fingertips
- Zinio is the ultimate app for magazine lovers. Tap into 150 titles with bonus interactive features.
- Flip through full-color magazines from your mobile device or computer. Get notices for new issues delivered to your inbox.
- 1. Go to http://www.tclib.org/digitalmedia; scroll down and click Zinio
- 2. Create your own Zinio account with your library card number and PIN or log into your existing account
- 3. Install Zinio reader on your computer or Zinio mobile app for your device
- 4. From the library’s Zinio account page, select magazines to read
- Popular titles include Climbing, Dwell, Yoga Journal, National Geographic and more