VITA Free Tax Prep 2021
Now extended through May 1!
IRS-certified tax preparers do your taxes -- follow these steps in our new low-contact process:
Step 1: Pick up a tax prep packet inside the main library door or download the three packet documents here:
-Directions for preparing tax packet
-Form 14446 Virtual VITA/TCE taxpayer consent
-Form 13614-C intake/interview
-Stimulus question form
Step 2: Homework
-Follow directions in packet to complete forms and gather your tax documents.
-Click here to make your Drop-Off appointment.
Step 3: Drop-Off appointment at the library
-Come to the library parking lot North Door (look for sign).
-Follow directions on sign to contact tax preparer, who will come out to speak to you.
-Leave packet to be processed.
Step 4: Review/Sign appointment
-VITA contacts you when your taxes are completed.
-Make your Review/Sign appointment.
-Come to library parking lot North Door, once again follow the directions to contact tax preparers
-Volunteer will bring out your tax return to review and sign.
Step 5: VITA e-files your taxes
(e-file is highly recommended, but VITA can prepare paper returns)
TAX DROP-OFF AND REVIEW/SIGN IS BY APPOINTMENT!
- Appointments may take about 30 minutes.
- Prepare your packet and make your Drop-Off appointment ASAP.
- Tax processing time depends on volunteer work flow.
- After you have been notified that your taxes are complete, make your Review/Sign appointment ASAP.
- Only a limited number of appointments are available. Make your appointment as soon as you are ready. We cannot accommodate a late March/April rush.
- Limited Drop-offs and Review/Signs may be allowed without an appointment if volunteers are not busy; show up at the parking lot North Door and follow instructions on the sign to contact the tax program.
- Appointments are your best bet for getting in!
Do you qualify for VITA to prepare your taxes?
What kind of returns does VITA prepare?
We DO PREPARE and efile**
- Returns with claims for those who didn’t receive Economic Impact Payments
- Prior year tax returns
- Self-employment, independent contractor returns
- Tax credits: EITC, education, child care….
- Schedules A, B, C, D
- ITIN application (paper) tax returns
We DO NOT PREPARE**
- Rentals (schedule E) (includes Air B&B)
- NY, CA, Conn, complex state returns
- Healthcare with “shared policy allocation”
- 1040 N/R (non-residents: in US less than 183 days)
- Very complex returns, unusual investment returns
**incomplete lists, email questions to tetonVITA@gmail.com.
Call VITA at (307)264-5777 if you need help making appointments or have questions about the tax prep process.
Email VITA at tetonVITA@gmail.com if you have questions while preparing your packet, or tax-specific questions. Never share PII over email (personally identifiable information like social security numbers, birth dates, and ITIN numbers).